Pages

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Slow and Steady, People

Do you find these days everything seems to be sped up?  Like the world is running on fast forward ➧➧?

Everyone wants things NOW...videos are sped up to get everything you need to know into 30 seconds...same day shipping...etc., etc.

The problem is that it makes YOU speed up.  Things that should be taken slow, thoughtful, and carefully, I find I am forcing through, making it work, or worse, ruining it and having to start again because I didn't just take a simple breath of pause first.  Anyone else have this problem?

More and more these days I think of the classic story of The Tortoise and The Hare, which has always stuck with me since I was a little girl--I think because my sister was the extrovert, taller, prettier, active, a real go-getter, whereas I was an introvert, short, stocky, and uncoordinated (and still am๐Ÿ˜Š).  Don't get me wrong, I am not making depressing comparisons by any means--I got over that long ago when I discovered the talents I had that she didn't, and I eventually came to understand that each person is very special and amazingly unique in their own way, so if you take nothing else from this blog post PLEASE think on that and your own special talents that make you YOU--maybe it is art or writing, you clean a house to sparkling, bake a mean chocolate chip cookie, can make any crying kid laugh or any dog sit and beg for a petting from you, or simply smile at strangers on the street because you honestly believe everyone needs one.  You ARE special. Period.  

Sorry, got a bit off topic there, but that's because I also think more people need to hear that these days, too.๐Ÿ˜

So, where was I?  Oh yes, fast forward and The Tortoise and the Hare

The moral of Aesop's famous story is one that often comes to mind when this world gets sped up elf-voice fast.  I find myself repeating it over and over in my head some days as a mantra to help me pull back, pause for a moment, and breath before continuing at a more comfortable pace for me.


If this world has you on the expressway when you would rather be on a leisurely country road, then just think of the tortoise, happy to take his time, smiling at his neighbors, and appreciating his surroundings and his own abilities.  He progresses at a pace that works just fine for him...that actually gets him ahead of the game. 

Winners are not always the ones who compete and get to the end the fastest, but the ones who keep working to complete their goals...no matter how long it takes or how slow they go.  I hope you keep that in mind this coming week.

Are you competing or completing?

Don't hesitate to leave a comment here or on my Instagram post @bystacydawn as I'd love to hear of your own unique, special talent(s), if you took it a little slower this week, and if you noticed a difference. ๐Ÿ˜‰

©bystacydawn 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment